We can't stress the importance of trademarks enough. If you are not familiar with trademarks, check out "What's the Big Deal About Trademark Registration," an article by guest blogger Shane Olafson of Lewis Roca Rothgerber. Taking the time to federally register your intellectual property (IP) is a necessity for effective branding and can help eliminate commercial misunderstanding, assisting consumers in distinguishing your brand from others. If you don't have trademarks yet, here are five reasons why you should:
- Customers have an easier time finding you - Branding your company takes valuable time and effort. It only seems right to get your brand in front of as many eyes as possible. Trademarks make it easy for customers to not only find your products/services but also specify a reliable level of quality with those products/services. Easily identifying you as the quality source will in turn attract more customers.
- Support for increased sales volume, stronger margins, and valid price points - Once customers associate your brand with a trademark, they are more easily motivated to purchase. In some cases, your brand can be the single, most important factor in the purchasing process.
- Relatively simple to keep - Once you have effectively registered your mark, renewals can be filed every 10 years (in the U.S.), so long as the mark is being used for business.
- Optimized internet presence for your business - When researching products and services in consideration of their options, users may look for trademarks to guarantee a quality product. This could mean increased traffic to your website and higher rankings in search engine results.
- Very effective against unfair competition - In the United States, deceptive and misleading advertising is prohibited by: consumer protection laws; unfair competition laws; and the U.S. trademark statute.
As you can see, registering for a trademark can prove to be very beneficial for your business. Most importantly it will instill a high level of trust in your business by consumers. Check out Traklight's ID your IP® software to help you secure one of your most valuable assets - your intellectual property.
Not sure if you have anything to trademark? Traklight's self-guided questionnaire makes it easy for users to identify their intellectual property and create their IP strategy.